Free audiobooks online make diving into thrilling novels, enlightening non-fiction, or thought-provoking memoirs possible even without time to sit and read. Audiobooks allow you to enjoy great literature on the go, with a busy schedule.
The best part is, you don’t need to spend a dime thanks to the wealth of free audiobook resources available today. Whether for your commute, doing chores, or late-night unwinding, free audiobooks can fit seamlessly into your daily routine.
In this guide, we’ll cover:
- Benefits of listening to audiobooks
- 20 top platforms to find free audiobooks
- Tips for listening effectively
- Top audiobook recommendations by genre
- And much more to elevate your audiobook experience
So what are you waiting for? Let’s dive into the magical world of audiobooks!
Why Listen to Audiobooks?
First, what makes audiobooks so special? Here are some of the top benefits you can enjoy:
- Convenience – Listen anytime, anywhere like driving, exercising, or doing chores. No need for a quiet reading spot.
- Multitasking – Absorb books while still being productive and getting things done.
- Accessibility – Audiobooks provide access to literature for those with visual impairments or reading disabilities.
- Commute companion – Make the most of travel time whether on your work commute or road trips.
- Before bed – Listening helps calm your mind before falling asleep.
- Enhanced comprehension – Hearing an expert narration can bring context and characters to life.
- Vocabulary boost – Hearing words read aloud improves vocabulary, pronunciation, and reading skills.
With so many benefits, it’s easy to see why audiobooks have become so popular, with sales increasing by 20% year over year.
Now let’s explore where you can find audiobooks 100% free.
20 Top Sites for Free Audiobooks
From classic literature to the latest bestsellers, you can find free audiobooks covering every genre and interest. Here are the top 20 platforms for free listening:
Librivox offers over 15,000 free audiobooks of books in the public domain, all read by volunteers. From literary classics to historical texts, it’s a treasure trove for avid readers.
2. Loyal Books
Previously known as Books Should Be Free, Loyal Books contains over 7,000 free audiobooks in every genre imaginable. The classic literature section is especially robust.
3. Open Culture
Discover free audiobooks on Open Culture alongside a treasure trove of other free resources like online courses, language lessons, and ebooks.
While primarily a paid service, Audible occasionally offers free audiobooks through temporary promotions and sales.
Access free audiobooks from your local library’s Overdrive catalog. All you need is a library card to enjoy bestsellers and classics.
Project Gutenberg has over 60,000 free ebooks, with a nice selection available in audiobook format as well. You’ll find history books, sci-fi, children’s books, and more.
Spotify offers both original podcasts and audiobook recordings in genres like fantasy, romance, and self-help.
8. Apple Books
Browse free audiobook offerings in Apple Books by clicking the “Free Audiobooks” link. Selections feature many literary classics.
9. Google Play
Google Play has a collection of free audiobooks from major publishers across genres like sci-fi, fantasy, romance, and business.
Join Scribd’s free 30-day trial to access their library of over 100,000 audiobooks. Just remember to cancel before the trial ends.
If you have a library card, check out Hoopla for free audiobook (and ebook) lendings with no waitlists or holds.
ManyBooks has over 29,000 free ebook and audiobook titles all available for download in PDF and MP3 formats.
Storynory offers free children’s audiobooks and original stories read by professional narrators. It’s a great way to foster a love of reading.
14. Spotify Podcasts
Look for “audiobook” in Spotify’s podcast section to access audio recordings of public domain books.
Formerly known as Free Audiobooks, Digitalbook.io hosts free classic literature recordings.
In addition to audiobooks, LearnOutLoud offers free podcasts, lectures, language lessons, and other audio learning resources.
17. Loyal Books
Loyal Books provides free audiobook downloads in easy-to-use MP3 format. They also have an app to listen on the go.
Legamus has hundreds of free audiobooks, mostly classics from the 19th and 20th centuries available as MP3 downloads.
Libby allows you to borrow free audiobooks from your local library and listen on any device.
This YouTube channel shares free audiobooks that are in the public domain from authors like Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, and Mark Twain.
With this incredible variety of platforms, you’ll have no shortage of captivating listens accessible for free or through your local library. Explore and find your favorites!
Tips for Listening to Free Audiobooks Online Effectively
To get the most out of your audiobook experience:
- Listen at a comfortable volume – Loud volumes can strain your ears. Start low and increase as needed.
- Adjust the narration speed – Faster speeds work well for dense non-fiction. Slower is better for savoring literary fiction.
- Keep background noise to a minimum – Eliminate distracting sounds so you can fully focus on the narration.
- Engage your imagination – Picture scenes and characters in your mind’s eye for a more immersive experience.
- Take notes – Jot down thoughts, impressions, and ideas while listening.
- Stick with a title – Don’t give up too quickly if a book starts slowly. Give it time to pick up speed.
- Listen in chunks – 20-40 minutes is ideal. Breaking into segments helps you absorb the content better.
Follow these tips and audiobooks will become an enjoyable escape and learning tool.
Top Audiobook Recommendations by Genre
Here are some top-rated audiobooks to get you started by popular genres:
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
- The Martian by Andy Weir
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
- The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
- The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
- The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
- The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
- The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang
- Atomic Habits by James Clear
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
- The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
- Educated by Tara Westover
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
Explore top titles like these to find your new favorite audiobooks across every imaginable genre. The captivating stories will keep you engaged for hours.
Start Listening to Free Audiobooks Today!
Audiobooks make soaking up great literature possible even with a busy schedule. With the resources in this guide, you can access thousands of free titles online.
So what are you waiting for? It’s time to start listening!
Pop in some earbuds and let an audiobook keep you entertained during your next commute, workout, or chore session. With so many remarkable stories a tap away, you’ll wonder how you ever found time to read!
What audiobook are you most excited to start listening to first? Let me know in the comments!